Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I just noticed maggots on my rottweiler shepherd mix when I

Customer Question

I just noticed maggots on my rottweiler shepherd mix when I went out to brush her and give her a ice treat. I bathed her on Tuesday and used fly away spray because they won't leave her alone. Tonight I noticed a sore on her back the size of a quarter. I'm at a loss. I married a man who had this dog and has not kept up on her shots and I've been working with her several times a week for months to get her looking good and playful. She's about 8 years old. I'm not opposed to shaving her. My goal was to make her a inside dog. What should I buy and how can I tell if they are under her skin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years. Maggots will continue to re infest the dog because of the wound. The fly's lay their eggs and thus prevent maggots in a matter of hours. What needs to be done is, if it is a long coated dog shave wherever you have found maggot and then bath the dog daily. The maggots will go away with daily bathing in warm water. But you have to treat the wounds and keep the dog inside away from the flies or the dog will always be re infested. Wash the wound with providone iodine and then apply a triple antibiotic ointment each time to help it heal. IF the dog can lick the area then you need to put a cone on the dog's head so she cannot reach the wound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I had read you can put cornstarch on the area for comfort. Should this not be done?I believe the reason they are having this problem this summer is because this poor sweet girls uterus is protruding (I spray that area with a water vinegar solution daily to keep it clean). I wanted to get her in good shape prior to taking her to my vet. I will shave and bathe her immediately.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Cornstarch will become crusty and you will have to wipe it off every day. It is best just to keep it clean, dry it well, and put the antibiotic ointment on it a few times a day. It sounds like she has a uterine prolapse. Here is more information on this.http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/vaginal-prolapse-in-dogs