Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a 7 year old pitbull who has always suffered with

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 7 year old pitbull who has always suffered with mild allergic reactions. Nothing major. As of January this year, we moved into an apartment that has carpetting, which she has never been exposed to and since then its been a disaster. She has developed what appear to be hives all over her body. Have taken her to the vet twice now and have received steroid treatments, which practically did nothing for her after the first 2 weeks. I'm thinking it might have to do with the carpet since we have not changed her food. The vet keeps suggesting a allergy test but I just feel as though that would not solve the problem. She is about 80lbs, how many dosages or benedryl should I be giving her and are there are any other home remedy suggestions you have? She does not seem to be in any pain and doesn't seem to itch too often, but I know she must be uncomfortable. Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.From your description, I can't help but think that Shai is definitely dealing with some severe allergies. Since the only thing that has changed really is her environment, it's likely either the carpeting, or something in the carpeting that is doing it. As someone who lives with an allergy dog herself, I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when you're trying to figure out what is causing your dog to be so miserable. I think one of the worst things about allergy dogs is that it can take years and years before a exact cause is found. With my pup, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so it could very well be that if any of the dog foods you're using contain corn, that could be part of his problem. We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check). There's also a new medication on the market called Apoquel that is getting really, really great reviews. I think is Shai were mine, I'd start by having the vet do that allergy testing. I really feel like that will explain the majority of her symptoms, and once they have pinpointed the problem, you'll know if you need to replace the carpeting, or if you can control it with medication.I hope this helps.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shai. How is everything going?
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for your response. Getting the allergy testing is not an option for me at this moment and unfortunately my lease is not up until early next year. I was hoping that there was some other option for the hives and sores on her body. I'm currently giving her 3 25mg benedryl in the morning, and 3 at night. She is about 80lbs.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
There are some over-the-counter options you could try:*For some itches, we suggest soaking in a baking soda bath. Adding 1 cup of baking soda to a tub of warm water and then soaking 30-60 minutes. Take dog out and let them air dry (this works best if done outside or in an area where there isn't carpeting as wet dogs drip...a lot). Local itches can be covered with a paste of 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water.*Oatmeal is an old favorite. Adding 1-2 cups of finely ground oatmeal to a warm bath sometimes can calm even the most irritating of itches. Just make sure the water isn't too hot, or you'll have breakfast for a week in your tub!*Lots of folk remedies call for using lemon to help with itching. They contain anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce itching. If nothing else, your dog will smell good!*Splashing the affected skin with basil tea can help reduce itching as well. Basil contains large amounts of a substance called 'eugenol', which is a topical anesthetic. To make the tea, place 1/2 ounce of dried basil leaves in a 1 pint jar of boiling water. Keep it covered to prevent the escape of eugenol into the air. Allow to cool, then dip a clean cloth into the tea and apply to itchy skin as often as needed.*Mint tea works about the same way, except the anti-itch property is menthol, not eugenol. To make the mint tea add 1 ounce dried mint leaves to 1 pint of boiling water. Cover and allow to cool. Strain the leaves out and then dip the clean cloth in the tea and apply to the itchy areas.*If you're saving the basil for spaghetti sauce and the mint & lemons for a glass of lemonade, you can use thyme tea. Once again use 1/2 ounce dried thyme leaves and 1 pint of boiling water. Cover and cool. Strain and use clean cloth to apply to affected areas.