Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My lab dachshund cross is 4 yrs old and about 25 pounds, She

Customer Question

my lab dachshund cross is 4 yrs old and about 25 pounds, She is vomitting bile and not eating much of the new food. what can I give her until the stores open in the morning to settle her stomo\ach down?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now if she is actively vomiting and not keen on water, the first step will be to rest her stomach for a few hours (6-8 hours). You can offer sips of water or ice cubes hourly, but this where we'd need to start for her.
Of course if she has not vomited for a few hours, you can try an antacid tonight to try to settle her stomach. Options we can use in dogs include:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
These can be given 20 minuted before offering a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg) to help settle her upset stomach. Of course, if she is too nauseous to keep one of these or water down, that would be a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her upset stomach with injectable anti-nausea medication.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet