Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My four week old puppy suffered some trauma today and now he

Customer Question

my four week old puppy suffered some trauma today and now he is moving his head from side to side
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...What was the trauma he experienced today?Is he really only 4 weeks old?Is he still with his mother?Can you explain the head movements to me?When was he injured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own both the mother and the father and he a single puppy from that litter. He was trampled on by his mother and father. They usually stay together with no problem, but I went away and when I came back they got so excited and out of control that they trampled mostly his face. They were in a octagon soft pin with a mess top so they couldn't get out until I go there. I could hear him screaming. He hysterically screamed and listed his head to one side for a very long time. Of course I cleaned him up and put neosporin on his bleeding spots. He was hurt so bad that I had to keep him still all night and away from his mother because even a lick upset him. He saw a veterinary in the morning and he had small laceration on both his ears one on the face. He had cuts in his eyes and a lot of swelling and just general bruising to the face. They gave me an antibiotic, ointment for his eyes and ears and an anti-inflammatory. He no longer is able to nurse so I am feeding him formula which he likes and licks up quite well. I got home and my mother dropped him on the floor. It wasn't just any kind of drop he flew a few feet and landed fortunately on a rug. I picked him up and he was was seizing. After he stopped and regained use of his front paw he would walk mostly backwards but even when he sat he would look back in forth continually. I have experience with chihuahuas and knew that he could have permanent damage of some sort but the body and brain can recover. I thought about vestibular disease but he was going back and forth. I am out of town so I went to a vet I didn't know and since he was walking I didn't call them. I was just worried and I started googling and came across this sight but I had already gone to bed when you replied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't proof read and found a bunch of typos, please excuse my spelling and grammar.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
No apologies needed for the spelling/grammar.I'm super happy to hear that he's feeling better!