Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 7 year old miniature schnauzer seems to lick her paws a

Customer Question

My 7 year old miniature schnauzer seems to lick her paws a lot and even the couch or bed she is laying on. She also has pretty bad breath. One other thing...she has spit up a very small amount of white mucous three different times in the last two weeks. What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your girl is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 year. I would be happy to help. I just have a few questions. How long has this been going on? Any recent changes to her diet, new foods, treats or human foods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3-4 weeks. Nothing really new in her diet or other behavior.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Licking the feet is most often a sign of allergy. This could be due to environmental allergies or to something she is eating.Licking especially things like the couch and bed is often a sign of nausea, the fact that she has had some vomiting further confirms this. The two could be related meaning something she is eating is not setting well with her or you could be dealing with two separate issues. I would try to think of anything at all that may have changed in her diet even something as simple as a new flavor of food or treats. If she has been on the same food it may be worth contacting the company to see if their recipe has changed. Many times manufactures change ingredients but do not list it anywhere on the bag/can. Bad breath can be a sign of dental disease and the bacteria in the mouth can lead to problems with the heart liver and kidneys and in some cases can cause stomach upset. To help with itchy paws you can try oral Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. To help calm the stomach I would use Pepcid AC in place of the Pepto. This is dosed at 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Due to her age if the problem continues I would suggest having her seen by your vet for senior blood work and a good dental exam to see if she has any teeth that need to be removed or if a dental cleaning is needed. I suggest blood work because problems with the kidneys and or liver can cause both nausea and bad breath. I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am recognized by just answer for assisting you today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to over the counter human benadryl and Pepcid?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are both over the counter and you can use generic which is cheaper
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Someone also suggested we try a 12-hour fast to give her belly a rest. Do you agree with this?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
If she was vomiting every day or vomiting after eating then I would say yes but 3 episodes in 2 weeks that are only foam or bile does not warrant a fast. In fact an empty stomach can also prompt vomiting of white foam or bile
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy