Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

He has slept until now. He woke up tail wagging, excited. He

Customer Question

He has slept until now. He woke up tail wagging, excited. He was hungry and I gave him a few bites of bread, which he immediately brought back up. He's still wanting food. Any other suggestions? He does appear to be a little itchy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I did receive your other reply. Great that everything seems improved. Not so sure about why he is itchy. I would not give anything else at this time. That includes, even if itchy, benadryl. Benadryl, can be a bit sedating, and may cause you to get concerned again. First, notify your vet ASAP and discuss whether a recheck examination is still indicated before you do anything else!Good Luck!Dr. Andy Actually, if he just vomited what you also fed, than that is an immediate indication he must be examined. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. No food.I would not offer any food for at least 8 to 12 hours to allow the stomach to rest, or until directed by your primary veterinarian. Good Luck!Dr. Andy