Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has acid reflux and takes omeprizol 1/2 tab in AM but

Customer Question

My dog has acid reflux and takes omeprizol 1/2 tab in AM but still suffers the rest of the day. (I also have it so I know what he feels like.) Is there something that would help him during the day? He weighs 10 lbs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You can use other antacids in dogs. I like to use Pepcid AC (Famotidine). I find that it works well for acid reflux. Omeprazole is more of a second line antacid to me. I usually start with Pepcid, then add Omeprazole if needed. If still having signs, you can use Sucralfate. This is a tablet that is made into a slurry and given. It helps to coat the esophagus and soothe the discomfort. Lastly, something to help with motility could be an option. Metoclopramide or Cisapride are the common pro-motility meds. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying to switch to just the Famotidine? I had a Pom years ago that had similar issues for a while and he took both but one of them was stopped after he leveled out. I just don't remember which was ongoing and which was short term. Also, he was a 6 lb Pom and this one is 10 lbs. What would dosage be, and for how long?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I would go with Omeprazole + Famotidine right now. The combination hits different acid producers and can work synergistically with each other. In a 10 lb dog, you can give 5 mg 1-2 times daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"In a 10 lb dog, you can give 5 mg 1-2 times daily." meaning just the Famotidine and continuing with no change regarding the Omeprazole Or both 5 mg 1-2 times a day? Sorry. Just need a clarification.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
That's correct. Famotidine 5 mg 1-2 times daily. Omeprazole at the current dose you're giving. I usually do Famotidine twice daily and Omeprazole once daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do you think I'd see an improvement? How long should I keep him on both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*When* not Where.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You should see less acid reflux signs- less gagging, hard swallowing, vomiting. It should be within the first 2-3 days that you see an improvement. Once normal for 1-2 weeks. I'd back down to once daily on Famotidine and then if still good for 1-2 weeks I'd stop the Omeprazole since that one didn't seem to do the job on it's own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then keep on with the Famotidine indefinitely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I always keep him on the Famotidine or stop when symptoms subside?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'd eventually try to wean him off everything if you can. Just take your time with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started Famotidine this morning. Hopefully by Monday I'll have good news. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this site. It is so appreciated!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I hope things are looking better.