Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My female dog is peeing more than usual and there is some brown

Customer Question

my female dog is peeing more than usual and there is some brown crusty stuff around her vulva. She is also licking herself a lot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The first thing I would check her for is a bladder infection. Is she spayed? If not, a uterus infection is another possibility. If she is spayed, I would check a urine sample and if an infection is seen, a course of antibiotics should take care of the problem. If she is not spayed I would do blood tests to check for a uterus infection, which can be serious. Let me know if she is spayed, and what other questions you have. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to ask if she is eating normally.Excessive thirst can be seen with both a bladder and a uterus infection, but also diabetes, kidney disease, and hormonal imbalances. Since she has that crusty discharge on her vulva and is licking a lot, the bladder and uterus are the first things I would check for.