Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an 8 month old German Shepherd that was a preemie when

Customer Question

I have an 8 month old German Shepherd that was a preemie when she was born (weighed 6 oz) she was treated about 4 weeks ago for what an emergency vet said was hook worms and ever since we gave her the medicine she is not acting right and now doesn't want to eat at all but she will drink... she only weighs about 27 pounds now but I called my vet and they were no help... I am a paramedic and have experience starting IV's on dogs but I am not sure if she just needs fluids or what...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
HI there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice....Can you check her hydration status (you can do this by pinching the skin between her shoulders and tenting it...then let go and time how many seconds it takes for it to snap back into place)?Is she urinating normally?Did they test for hookworms, or did they just assume that was what was going on?When was the last time she ate?