Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog

Customer Question

18 month old dog had DHLPP shot yesterday. Seemed okay other than slept the day away - he is hyper active usually. Now he can't lift his head and is making a funny squeaking noise. He also lost bladder control.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While a delayed hypersensitivity reaction as evidenced by fever, swelling of the face, pruritis (itching), and lethargy is relatively common following vaccination, not being able to lift his head and that strange change in voice isn't expected. I'm hopeful that he has already remissed but, if not, that he has already been attended to by his vet who was likely to have administered a corticosteroid such as prednisone which would counteract a delayed hypersensitivity reaction.
May I have an update on Anu, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rushed him to the vet as soon as they opened. He was declared stable and they gave him Benadryl and a corticosteroid. He had a rough day even after the shots. About 3:00 pm he was more himself and able to walk up and down our stairs. Today he seems fine just not quite his spazy puppy self yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This iquestion is closed without your help.
Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.