Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog her age 16 years old and lost the movment in her back

Customer Question

my dog her age 16 years old and lost the movment in her back leg is there anything i can at to help her she can't or stand what i need something too help walk or what do ineed too STEVE IN LAS VEGAS NV.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did this start?
Was it sudden or has she been getting progressively weak?
Can she move the legs voluntarily at all?
If you pinch a back toe, does she feel it or look/respond to you?
What milligrams of aspirin have you been giving?
How much does she weigh?
Has she been passing urine on her own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TWO WEEKS AGO SHE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS SHE CAN NO LONGER MOVETHEM ON HER OWNTOW 325MG COATED 150 ILB YES BUT HAVE MAKE SURE SHE GET OUT AND DOWN THE STAIRS SHE CAN'T GET UP ON ALL FOUR LEGS ANY MORE
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
And is she passing normal streams of urine when you get her outside?
Did she respond when you pinched her toe like she could feel her foot?
Even though she is too weak to stand, can she wiggle her toes of move the foot at all even when laying down? Or do you think she is paralyzed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN SHE TRYS TO GET UP ON ALL FOUR SHE CAN' T SHE JUST GOES AROUND IN A CERCEI AND SHE WONT DRINK WATER WE TRYED WITH BOWL OF WATER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN WE PINCED HER BACK TOES SHE DIDN'T PULL A WAY AT ALL JUST LOOKS AT US.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now the reason I keep asking about her ability to feel her toes is because her signs fit with traumatic injury (likely secondary to arthritis and muscle atrophy) causing her to be too painful to rise on her own. But they also raise concerns of spinal damage. So, if she can move those back legs even a bit and she can feel her toes when you pinch, that would tell us that injury is likely our issue. That said, if she cannot feel that or move her back feet at all, then spinal disease is likely and her prognosis is very poor.
With these in mind, we do need to tread with care. In regards ***** ***** question on how to help her walk, you would be best to get her a sling (examples @ http://www.gingerlead.com/ ). This will help you lift her back end up and make it easier for you both to get her around and outside. Just to note, some short term slings you can use would be those made of rolled towels, bed sheets or even modified grocery bags (How To @ http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/angell-boston/surgery/how-to-make-a-supportive-dog.html).
Otherwise, I would note that if she is 150lbs, then the dose of Aspirin you have used is very low. The dosing for this drug is actually 5-10 mg per pound of a dog's body weight every 12 hours. So, you will want to adjust that at this stage. Of course, only give this with or after food (and use wet food if she isn't drinking well since it is 35% water). If you find she is still too sore even with a proper dose, you will want to consider speaking to her vet about steroids. The reason these would be useful in her case is because steroids tend to have better effect of spine and nervous tissue and this would potentially help with both concerns.
Overall, a sling would be the way to help get her up and you do want to adjust your pain relief dose for her. And hopefully since she did look at what you did, this suggests that we just have a very sore injured old dog as opposed to one with spinal damage. So, do use the above for her and hopefully we can get her up and moving again.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU ***** I'LL START HER ON HIGH DOSE AND TAKE ME OUT OF MY FREE TRIAL I BE TAKEING HER TOO THE VET SO TAKE OUT STOP MY FREE TRIAL OK THANSK.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for you both,
Dr. B
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet