Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had a swollen submandibular node recently.(noticed

Customer Question

Hi my dog has had a swollen submandibular node recently.(noticed 2 days ago) with accompanied fever. He is acting normal now and size of lymph node has decreased some. Should I bring him to see vet or assume that his body is fighting infection on its own?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is just one enlarged?
Any others on the body enlarged?
Was it firm, sore, hot, or fluidy?
What was his temperature?
Did he have any issues with his mouth (ie dental disease, oral infection, etc)?
How is Chase otherwise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worry about the delayed reply.... I fell asleep.
Chase has been doing pretty good the yesterday. He was a bit lethargic with dry nose before but seems to be his usual self now.
Only one lymph node is swollen, on the right. It was not tender, hot, or draining anything. His ears, teeth, and gums looked all normal. He had a little nasal drip of clear fluid but not much.
The only other issue he's had is that he's had stomach upset and diarrhea,which he didn't want to eat much for a couple days earlier on in the month. It resolved and was attributing it to changing his food type or Etc.
he did have emesis the day he was feeling icky (two days ago) it was more chunky with water than usual. And last night he belched a sticky burp. And he didn't want to eat his breakfast that day But ate his dinner without problems. No
diarrhea this time around.
I have noticed he appears to breath faster, while sleeping, recently. Last night I checked and it seemed like he was breathing 60/min for a while. He didn't feel hot at the time.
Although it's been warm here.
Also, I was not able to check his temperature because he gets aggressive if u mess with him. Like putting thermometer where they shouldn't be. Lol.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I have received your reply and will be back shortly with my thoughts about your wee one.
Speak to you again soon,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, at Chase's age, we do always have to be wary about increases in lymph node size. To see one side enlarged is most suspicious of immune reaction (usually affecting the head, brisket, forelegs, and feet) but again we always have to monitor for the concern of lymphoma lurking.
In this situation, if he has had off and on immune stimulation from these range of issues and currently has nasal discharge (which could be a sign of allergies or a brewing upper airway infection), I would advise monitoring for the next few days. If this all settles and that fever goes, we are happy. But if it doesn’t reduce in size, then we’d be best to err on the side of caution and have it checked. If you do, we’d want the vet to fine needle aspirate (FNA) the node. This cells harvested can be analyzed under the microscope to tell us if we have a reactive lymph node responding to immune stimulation or something more worrisome.
Overall, this sounds more suspicious of a reactive lymph node then something sinister. But at Chase’s age, we do always want to tread with care. So, I would monitor but any increase or lack of reduction over the next few days would be our cue to have the node checked and aspirated so we know what that tissue is up to.
Please take care,
Dr. B.