Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My granddog was spayed yesterday. There's internal stitches

Customer Question

My granddog was spayed yesterday. There's internal stitches and the external was "glued" together...she jumped on tbd bed and winced. They took her to ER vet who said as long as there's no swelling and gums are pink she could wait till morning and let regular vet check it or they could cut her back open. Now There is a knot or bump about the size of your hand, no external bleeding. The glued stitches are intacked. Should they they take her back to ER vet to have it opened back up?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lump is palm size .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now when dogs strain a surgical wound, we can see lumps develop. When they do, they can be a self-limiting bleed from the muscle, internally (though those pink gums make that less likely), or a seroma (serum type fluid that the body uses to fill any gaps between tissues to avoid infection getting in).
With this all in mind, if Mina has pink gums and that lump is not changing in side, then we'd not rush to open her back up. Instead, we would want to closely monitor her gums, the lump size, her breathing, and comfort. While doing so, we can also warm compress the lump to reduce those two more benign issues. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).
If they do this overnight and there is no change to the lump or it reduces in size, then this can be continued. Of course, if it got larger, then a revisit would be indicated to make sure there wasn't a more serious bleed. Otherwise, in all cases, for peace of mind they can take her to her vet once they are open. Most practices offer free post-operative checks and the vet can double check that there is no issue here. If there is any concern about internal bleeding, they can even use their ultrasound to check for this before deciding if they need to go back into her abdomen.
Overall, if Mina has pink gums, is comfortable, and this lump isn't getting any larger; then we'd use the above while keeping a close eye on her until her vet is open. But if it were getting larger or her gums were paling, then we'd have to be wary of a bigger issue that may require further surgery.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter says an additional lump has now appeared and a spot that looks like a bruise. Would you recommend continuing to monitor?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
How big is the additional lump (the bruising tells us that that is blood, but could be muscle related)?
Are her gums still pink and is she otherwise comfortable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies...Daughter said Not a sec lump. It's sec blood spot. Gums are still pink. Doesn't seem like much change in the blood spots yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does have fast breathing but she's done that since a pup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In general she seems to be fine and my daughter needs a drink!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
As long as the breathing is consistent for her, we'd not be overly worried about that. And if it is just a blood spot, again it is a clue that it is a wee hematoma as opposed to a seroma. But as long as its not changing size, she can warm compress and monitor it at this point. Because our main concern would be pooling (thus enlarging of the lump), since that would suggest an ongoing bleed (though I have to say it is rare a dog tweaks their surgical site enough to trigger a serious internal bleed).
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for wee Mina,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mina. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking. My daughter continued to watch Mina overnight and took her to Dr Ruth the next morning. She checked out good and my daughter was so appreciative of the advice. The only problem she had was being a little ire aggressive than usual towards her other dog. I told her to give her some time to recover from the surgery... Thanks again for the terrific advice.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update,
I would not be alarmed if Mina seems a bit off with the other dog just now. Some dogs will be a wee bit defensive when sore if the other dog comes near (a "stay back" type response because they don't want the other dog to jump on/bump them and cause them discomfort). So, we just want Mina to have some space and perhaps speak to her vet about dog sage pain relief if she is potentially a bit sore after her surgery.
All the best,
Dr. B.