Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 35 lb cocker spaniel ate 10-12 raisins about 24 hours ago.

Customer Question

My 35 lb cocker spaniel ate 10-12 raisins about 24 hours ago. I didn't realize it at the time. what should I watch for or do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm sure that you've seen that Dante remained unaffected. Dogs need to ingest over 0.05 ounces of raisins per pound of body weight before I'm concerned about toxicity as evidenced by the symptoms of acute renal failure (vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weakness seen 12-24 hours post-ingestion). A 35 lb Dante would have needed to ingest ~ 1.75 ounces of raisins which is equivalent to ~ 50 raisins. In addition, raisin toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar); in other words, some dogs can ingest raisins to their heart's content without a problem.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.