Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dr. PeteMy dog is a rottweiler is 4 years old and i

Customer Question

hi Dr. Pete
My dog is a rottweiler is 4 years old and i saw a wart on his side of the upper belly. No itching, no pain and I took him to the vet. They put a needle and took some fluid from the wart and mentioned that the cells look different shapes and so i may have to operate it. I wanted a second opinion before i get it operated. I am a big believer in organic diet exercises etc. We changed his diet recently to Nutro Lamb and Rice recipe. He is very active and is not bothered by this at all.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of the "wart" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more
I appreciate your efforts but the pics are badly out of focus. If you're using a phone, can you try a camera, instead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying again
Better. Thank you! It looks well-circumscribed (restricted in its shape and size) which usually means that it's benign - an adenoma (benign glandular growth, perhaps). If this stays the same size, you don't have to anything but if it enlarges, you see swelling or inflammation of the surrounding skin, it needs to be removed pronto. Please note that skin growths don't respond to diet. If they don't go away by themselves, they need to be surgically removed if we want them gone.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That gives me a big relief. Do you know why this growth happens? It is summer and very hot outside. He is outside early morning and evening. During the day he is inside. Does heat causes this growth? There should be some reason that his body decided to develop this growth.
If we only knew why these arise...how does genetic error sound? I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update in a few weeks - even after rating. One more question: When the vet mentioned "cells looked different shapes" were the presence of mast cells mentioned?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?