Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our lab has a bad cough that started Saturday. She doesn't

Customer Question

Our lab has a bad cough that started Saturday. She doesn't cough with rest. Her eating and drinking has not changed. She is 10 yrs old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.
A cough can signify
* kennel cough
* dog flu
* heart worm
* A heart problem
* a lung infection
If the dog has been around other dogs then kennel cough is a possibility.
If the dog is not on monthly heartworm prevention then heartworm is a possiblit.y
Given the dogs age, a heart problem may also be causing this. You will see dogs cough more with activity then when at rest.
an infection of the lungs would also cause coughing but you may notice some other type of congestion with it and possibly problems with general breathing.
A cough should always be taken seriously and a hands on exam performed. IT may also require x rays of the lungs or an ekg or echo cardiaogram of the heart.
Dogs that have a hear arrhythmia may only show up on an echo cardio gram.
Your vet will try to reproduce the cough in the office by pushing on the neck. This is not always successful especially if dealing with a heart issue. I would strongly suggest that you take your cell phone and video tape the coughing to show your vet as it can help in diagnosis or at least what tests should be taken.
IN this article you can read the different reasons for chronic coughing in dogs.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/chronic-coughing-in-dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Danette B Howell. How is everything going?

Sally G.