Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has vomited a few times in the past 24 hours. It started

Customer Question

My dog has vomited a few times in the past 24 hours. It started off as yellow stained bile but now it is just clear foam. She is also refusing to eat (dog or human food).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years and am trained in pet first aid for aiding animals in disasters. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Has there been any diarrhea?
Have you changed her dog food recently or could she have eaten another animals food?
Does she eat non food items such as bones, rawhides, toys, clothing, greenies, etc?
Did she eat any human food prior to this and if so what?
Has there been any diarrhea?
What is the name of her normal dog food? (brand and flavor)
Could she have gotten into garbage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not much diarrhea. She pooped last night but only a little loose toward the end.

I have not changed her dog food. She has Greenies but hasn't had one this week so far. She has eaten human food before but has never reacted like this. But its mostly given as a treat (some peanut butter, pieces of apple, a pita chip). When she has stomach issues I feed her rice with a small piece of chicken or meat mixed in.

She has not gotten into the garbage. Her main food is Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food for puppies. Sometimes I mix in some canned wet food (same brand and type).

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. She is a puppy , so can I assume she is up to date on shots and worming?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
and if she is too young to have received her third and final shot has she been taken out in public?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is 8.5 months, and has all her shots and worming.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Great! I am leaning toward a couple of things. She may have a virus which is normal in dogs, and if that is the case then from the vomiting and slightly loose stool her intestines may still be inflammed. I would fast her for 24 hours, she can have water, and tomorrow start the bland diet of white meat chicken and rice. Give small amounts first , wait four hours, if no vomiting give her more. The next thing I am worried about would be that the greenie she had the week before may be causing the problem. These are known to cause an obstruction of the bowel if too big a piece is chewed and swallowed. They also break off in sharp pieces which can pierce the intestinal wall. IF there is a blockage you are seeing the signs, vomiting, sudden lack of appetite, there may be more soft stool or diarrhea , and lethargy. This would require surgery. If by tomorrow , she refuses the bland diet then have her seen right away. What I would like you to do today is take her vital signs. I will direct you to a link that will take you through this. IF the gum color is off, the capillary refill time is off or if there is fever, have her seen today.What is Normal in dogshttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you. I will keep all his in mind.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Please don't forget to rate my service so the company credits me for my time:) I am hoping it is just a virus:)