Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 5 year old min pin has a squeaky voice and she has a swelling

Customer Question

My 5 year old min pin has a squeaky voice and she has a swelling on her neck right at the jaw line and I can't get her in until 4:15 and the swelling feels very squishy. What could it be!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.
IF it is soft and squishy it may be a salivary gland.These are located on the neck and sometimes dogs may play to rough and cause trauma which causes the glands to swell.
Another possibility is an infection of some type either from a tooth or in the lymph nodes. IF there is bacterial infection then antibiotics will be needed. Your vet will probably take some fluid from the area and have it tested.
Try not to panic until you see your vet. If you are pleased with my service please rate before you leave so the company acknowledges my time:) IF you feel you need more help or explanation just ask come back and ask.
Here you can read more on the salivary glands and causes for swelling.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/mouth/c_multi_salivary_mucocele
This site has information and a picture to show you where the lymph nodes are on a dog
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/pethealth/dog_disorders_and_diseases/immune_disorders_of_dogs/immune_system_tumors_in_dogs.html