Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 4 year old wheaten terrier. About a month ago

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 4 year old wheaten terrier. About a month ago I notice a pea sized nodule on his neck.. I've watched an felt it and it seems to be getting slightly larger, although I'm not sure. I have an appointment with vet for Monday, however I am very worried. Could it be cancer?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now if we have a lump that has been present for a month (so abscesses, blood blisters, soft tissue swellings, or insect induced allergic reactions are all less likely here) and is possibly growing, we do have some serious concerns here. Specifically, we would have to consider that this could be a cyst, fatty lump (lipoma), a benign growth or a cancerous one. That said, if Tucker is only 4 years old, anything sinister would be less likely for him.
Still, I am glad that you are planning on having this checked for him. When you do, consider having your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If fatty material is removed, then its just a lipoma and only needs removal if it was causing him bother. If clear or non-odorous white fluid is removed, then a cyst would be likely and again removal would be cosmetic. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.
Overall, you are correct to be wary of this growth but as Tucker is a young dog and the mass is small, we'd not be panicked here. Instead, we'd just want this checked +/- FNA'd on Monday to tell us what it is and whether we need to remove it for him at this stage.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?

nekovet