Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Diesel is a 2.5 year old German Shepherd. I took him to the

Customer Question

Diesel is a 2.5 year old German Shepherd. I took him to the vet last Wednesday because my husband thought he saw blood in Diesel's urine. The night before, he ate a little but during the night he starting hurling so I put him outside for a few hours. When I went to get him from the back yard he was laying in the middle of the yard and in the rain.. not normal at all. When we we're at the vets office he wouldn't even look up at me when I called him name. He had a temp of 104, he was dehydrated, very anemic, and his white blood count was at 26.98. Urine test shiwed what my husband saw was actually myoglobin in Diesel's urine. He stayed at the vet til Friday morning. He was eating and drinking better and was more alert and temp was at 103. I was given prednisone, clindamycin, and doxycycline to give him twice a day. We scheduled a blood check for Monday for afternoon. Monday afternoon the vet showed his temp was 101, still anemic, but his white blood cell count is now at 88.47. My vet said in the 20 years she has been a vet she has never seen a case where the white blood count was so high, have myoglobin in his urine, but all other tests were fine.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always struggled to keep weight on him after he was a year old. Vet said he is a puppy and it was okay and getting him neutered could help stabalize his weight. It's been about 5 months since he was nuetered and I feel like there has been no improvement. I have tried all diff kinds of dry and wet dog food, additive, and ggiving him raw chicken (per breeder). I have a feeling whatever is going on with him is making him struggle to gain and maintain a healthy weight.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Diesel is, indeed, an intriguing dog. If myoglobinuria has been confirmed, we need to consider trauma (unlikely), ischemia -lack of blood supply to the muscles (unlikely), toxic injury (likely), or necrosis of muscle cells (likely if there is an immune-mediated polymyositis - inflammation of multiple muscles - present. Please confirm that his serum creatine kinase level was normal. If so, we can rule out muscle disorders. If normal, we need to investigate the white blood cell count further. Can you upload the complete blood count to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see the distribution of the various white blood cells.
Hi Tari,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diesel. How is everything going?