Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

Our 13 year old dachshund, male, neutered, was breathing rapidly

Customer Question

Our 13 year old dachshund, male, neutered, was breathing rapidly today and we took him to the vet. They sent us to the emergency care vet. They said he has an enlarged heart, bad liver and fluid or a blood clot in his lungs. He is resting there overnight and they will do more scans, etc. in the morning. We is reasonable to expect? We don't see many encouraging signs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Leo was breathing rapidly today, was seen by his veterinarian and referred to a emergency clinic where he was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, bad liver and fluid or a blood clot in his lungs.It sounds like your fellow may be in congestive heart failure. That is when the heart is functioning so poorly it is not pumping blood the way it should, fluids leak out of blood vessels and cause organ congestion and fluid accumulation in the lungs which interferes with oxygen exchange, thus his rapid breathing and possibly the reason for his liver looking abnormal. When we have altered blood flow through the heart we can see blood clots form and if they leave the heart and become lodged in the lungs or other organs that can cause serious damage, fluid accumulation and inflammation.As far as what to expect that will depend upon how sick his heart is and if he can respond to diuretics to remove fluid from his lungs and organs as well as whether his heart responds to medication given to help improve its function.I think its reasonable to see how he does over the next few days and discuss his prognosis with the veterinarians that have physically examined him and have the results of his tests over the next few days.He may feel much better in 2-3 days.Please let me know if you have any further questions.