Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog has had X-rays, Lyme disease test, and a rectal exam

Customer Question

My dog has had X-rays, Lyme disease test, and a rectal exam and nothing explains why he is experiencing pain and inflammation on his os penis. He is a neutered 6 yr old Boston. The sac where his testes should be is now very soft and jelly like. Almost is of the inflammation has spread to that area. The vet put him on rimadyl, tramadol, gabapentin, and doxycycline and nothing is helping.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.Is Sully neutered?If not he may be suffering from a testicular tumor. The most common type of testicular tumor is called a Sertoli Cell Tumor. These tumors cause testicular enlargement, and eventually can cause hair loss, anemia and sometimes breast development in male dogs due to the effects of the increased amount of estrogen that they produce. They can cause the testicles to become soft and may become uncomfortable once they get to a certain size. Treatment is neutering but if the tumor is very large then a complete scrotal oblation is necessary, which is a more difficult surgery then a usual neuter. While these tumors are very slow to metastasize they can, and the larger the tumor is the more difficult the surgery is and the more uncomfortable he will be post-operatively.If a dog is exposed to high levels of estrogen for long periods of time they can become anemic, so we do want to get this taken care of. There are other types of tumors but Sertoli Cell tumors are the most common.Here is a link to an article about testicular tumors if you are interested in reading more:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2087&aid=481Other possibilities for swollen testes and scrotum are an infection, or a torsion of the testicle. Both of those would cause him pain, and he would feel poorly too. If he is a breeding dog we need to be most concerned about a Brucellosis infection as that is a zoonotic (can pass to people) is easily transmitted to breeding partners and dogs that are exposed to prepucial secretions and will lead to infertility. There are other infections, but this is the most serious.If your fellow is neutered then I would be suspicious of urinary tract calculi or a prostatic mass interfering will normal urine flow, causing discomfort and leading to inflammation and swelling. He may need radiographs, both normal and with contrast material and an ultrasound. Not all calculi (stones) can be picked up with normal radiographs as they aren't made of minerals that show up, so they can be tough to find.Please let me know if you have any further questions.If not please remember to rate my response before signing off.