Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has eaten a tea bag, it had not been used, she is

Customer Question

Hi my dog has eaten a tea bag, it had not been used, she is a small dog, can this do her any harm? or how can i make her sick if need be? thx
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
hanks for the additional information.
Regular tea bags do contain caffeine. Caffein can be toxic to dog so trying to get her to vomit it back would be best if it was swallowed in the last hour or so. You would induce vomiting following the directions on the following website.
http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm
It can be repeated once if it doesn't work the first time after 10 minutes or so. If she doesn't vomit it up, you will want to monitor. A serious dose would be about 68mg per pound and a tea bag would contain less than 90mg.
Read more on toxicity on the following page.
http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/134-toxic-foods-for-dogs-drinks-beans
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.