Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My mixed breed small dog has been having no bowel movement

Customer Question

My mixed breed small dog has been having no bowel movement x 3 days, does strain some and result is yellowish, jelly like discharge
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What oil did you use?
Is she eating and drinking?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil used was about 1 tsp of coconut oil, but she did not eat but maybe 1/8 c of the food. She is drinking and she did eat yesterday the chicken/chicken broth, but has not eaten today yet. Pressing on her belly does not seem to bother hurt, but she is lethargic Gums appear to be normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a chihuahua mix and we constantly have to watch her that she is not eating any little sticks, etc. She does tend to eat hers or her sister's dog feces if we don't catch her in time
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
First, if she has been eating less, she will have less stool to pass. Still, if she is straining, we do need to try to help get things moving for her.
Now coconut oil doesn't tend to be very helpful with constipation. It is easy to digest and therefore her body would have absorbed it before it got into the lower intestines. Instead, I would suggest some other options to help Ethel. To start, you can try offering her some cow's milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if a dog has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.
Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving since they are not absorbed by the gut.
Furthermore, if this is a common issue for her , then you can mix some canned pumpkin into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also advise encouraging her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if she won’t drink.
While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output. If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or Ethel begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )