Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Have male grt Pyrenees 110-120- lb dog needs to be groomed,

Customer Question

have male grt Pyrenees 110-120- lb dog needs to be groomed, mats cut out and washed is and outslde working doe on farm. have tried giving three anxitane ml table but don't tend to do anything. I tranqulize my red stag with succinylcholine but they are out for about 15 minutes, actual not out, they just cant move. will this work how much would I put in syringefrom a 20 mgml bottle or is their something better to use, and can I purchase and for how much
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You do deserve the courtesy of a reply. Succinylcholine is rarely used today in dogs. Historically, anecdotal dosages of 0.07-0.11 mg/kg (0.03 - 0.05 mg/lb) IV were generally recommended. Unfortunately, there's nothing available over the counter potent enough for your purposes. Even the prescription benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax) don't provide enough control of these dogs. The tranquilizer Acepromazine is most commonly prescribed at doses of 0.25 -1 mg/lb orally 2 hours prior to the desired effect. This is a prescription drug, however, and so Roman's vet will need to prescribe it to Roman. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roman. How is everything going?