Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 100 lb pointer terrier mix ate a 4 mil glimepiride pill

Customer Question

my 100 lb pointer terrier mix ate a 4 mil glimepiride pill just now. w
What should I do?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I expected to get an answer right away... this is terrible.
Is anybody even there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available (and your locking on them is what delayed any other vet from aiding you). Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has it been?
Did you mean 4 milligrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and yes 4 milligrams
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now the good news here is that this drug is very safe and has a very large safety range on dogs. As well, based on the dose and his weight, this is only a 0.08mg/kg dose. So, since this can safely be given (when indicated in a dog patient, of course) in doses ~180x what he has had, we would expect no issue and no treatment is necessary. So, while I am happy to discuss inducing vomiting or the use of activated charcoal with you; these are not necessary here since we'd expect no issues here. So, I would just leave some extra food down for him but I'd expect no harm here.
Please take care,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Dr. B! I'm so happy about your answer!!! I'm so relieved. Thank you for getting back to me quickly.
You have kept me as a Justanswer.com customer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
I too am always glad when I can report good news after a dog has pinched a tablet that didn't not belong to them. So, in your lad's case, we can both breathe a wee sigh of relief (and make sure he isn't in the room when tablets are in reach). Otherwise, I am glad I could help you today and do apologize that the system locked you onto my colleague who was not online just now.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet