petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I noticed yesterday that my beagles left side of his top head

Customer Question

I noticed yesterday that my beagles left side of his top head is caved in. He seems fine other than that, we just walked 3 miles and he seems like he always has been. Should I take him to a vet to be checked??
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
......
The most common cause of this is a condition known as masticatory myositis or what is an inflammation of the muscles of the jaw. There are other conditions as well, particularly anything that irritates any of the facial nerves. In the previous condition, the muscles of the jaw become inflammed in the early stages and when this is occurring it can be painful and can cause an inability to open the mouth fully. In later stages of the disease, the muscles atrophy and shrink down in size, and then it becomes apparent due to the muscles decrease in size.
.......
I would definitely have Mikey examined by your vet to see if there is anything else going on or if there is anything that can be treated.
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link with more information about the jaw muscle disease. LINK HERE