petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog broke her dew claw on the right front leg, it bled a

Customer Question

my dog broke her dew claw on the right front leg, it bled a bit, but I was able to stop that. Today is Sunday and she's limping
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
.....
Has the broken nail fallen off or is part of it still attached?
.....
Is there exposed quick?
.....
Is she licking at it?
.....
Will she let you handle it?
......
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like there's still some nail left after the break, I don't see the quick so I don't think it's exposed. Yes, she licks it from time to time, not manically. Yes, she will let me handle it. We will go to our vet tomorrow, my need for now is to help her with the pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my e-mail is ***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pleas e-mail your response
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
It is not a problem for her to take a pain medicine while she is on an antibiotic, but unfortunately, there is not anything available over the counter that is safe or effective in offering her relief from pain and ay interfere with what your vet will be able to offer tomorrow. When the nail is still loosely attached, the quick is underneath and even though it is not exposed, the loose piece of nail remnant tends to irritate it every time she moves the paw, especially if she bumps it on anything. These are best treated by cutting the nail back to the break, which is very painful to do and usually done under sedation and with a local block to numb the site first. About all you can offer tonight is to snugly wrap the site so as to provide a cushion to the quick and secure the fractured piece of nail from irritating it. You could use a gauze pad to cover and then use an ace bandage or cotton roll gauze around the foot, leaving the toes exposed if possible. This should allow her some relief until tomorrow. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z