Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I found blue on my dog's paw about 40 mjinutes ago, and just

Customer Question

I found blue on my dog's paw about 40 mjinutes ago, and just found a brillo pad (that had blue soap in it) on the carpet. Looks like he was chewing on it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Bailey ate part of a Brillo pad.While I understand that getting the Brillo pad pieces out would be nice I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects. The chances of tearing his esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the sharp material out is much too high. I hope he at least chewed a little before he swallowed any pieces as that will make passage a little easier.The other trouble is that the soap impregnated in the pad is a gastrointestinal irritant, so if he ingested that too you could see signs of drooling, nausea, lack of an appetite, vomiting and loose stools as well as abdominal pain. I would start with flushing his mouth with cool water to remove any traces of the soap.As far as the steel wool we need to try to get this to pass through his gastrointestinal tract safely. And that if he did swallow some he chewed it up into small pieces and his stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments.To help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take a half slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, then cover with the second half of the slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the steel wool pieces slip rather than catch.For the next few days, until the pieces pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, and the gut isn't irritated contracting on just sharp pieces.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.You'll need to check his stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two and you are concerned a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the pieces are is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take 5-7 days to get him converted back to regular food. Most of the time the pieces pass over 48-72 hours, but in some cases it may take longer.Let me know if you have any questions.