petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I found my dog dead in our backyard. he was foaming at the mouth and had blood around his

Customer Question

i found my dog dead in our backyard. he was foaming at the mouth and had blood around his nose. we had a roofing company replacing shingles on our house, I wonder if he may have eaten a nail or something that could have caused him to choke. I couldn't open his mouth was locked. I have another dog and she was fine, she actually kept licking her son trying to get him to wake up, it was very sad.
im not sure what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
.........
I am very sorry to hear that Milo is gone. It is never easy to lose a pet, but when it is sudden and unexpected, it is even harder to accept.
....
The symptoms that you describe are not consistent with choking or a GI obstruction of any sort. More often than not, when there is an acute death, it is either cardiac in nature or due to a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs). The odds are it happened very fast and that he did not suffer. Please accept my condolences.
........
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z