Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog has a hacking cough mainly at night, what can this be

Customer Question

My dog has a hacking cough mainly at night, what can this be from?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Rusty is having some trouble with a cough. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help. When ever hear about coughing especially at night in a senior dog it is important to that we make sure there is not a problem with the heart. A cough is often the first sign of heart disease in dogs.Other possible causes could be * Fungal infection* Tumor that is pressing or the trachea* Lung disease Of course something less serious such as allergies can cause a cough, however in a senior dog we always have to rule out problems with the heart and or lungs. I would suggest giving your vet a call and schedule a senior exam as soon as possible. It would not be recommended to try any over the counter cough medicine until we are sure there are no problems with the heart. I hope he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Once our conversation has finished please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am recognized by justanswer for assisting you today.Candy