Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Reverse sneezing

Customer Question

Reverse sneezing
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Well, for the sake of providing a response, I will assume that the diagnosis is truly reverse sneezing. Reverse sneezing can be exacerbated by allergies. So, it wouldn't hurt to try an antihistamine. I know you tried a lot of other things, so no harm in giving an antihistamine trial. Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours. Another favorite for dermatologists is Zyrtec (cetirizine) over the counter. Available in 5mg or 10mg tablets. A small dog 10-20 pounds can get a 5mg tablet once a day in the morning, but can be given every 12 hours. Any dog over 30 pounds, I typically recommend the 10mg tablet every 24 hours (or twice a day). Also, try to record a few episodes to show the vet. If it is getting progressively worse, than it may become necessary for the vet to do a thorough, under sedation, evaluation of the soft palate area for any anatomical abnormalities that could be predisposing to the problem. Hope that info helpsDr. Andy