Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has rated some food from the trash that was very rotted,

Customer Question

My dog has rated some food from the trash that was very rotted, he has thrown up but is shaking bad and I can't get him to drink water. Beat should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you and Digby this morning. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible..When did he eat the trash?Do you know what food was in the trash?Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over night and it was a firehouse sub from 2 weeks ago it fell behind the trash and I did not see it as it was in an enclosed area, we went on vacation for 10 days and came home last night. Digby is very resorsefull and managed to bet in that area, found the wrapper this morning It was a roast beef with onions,cheese,banana peppers with mayonnaise and mustard. It w a half of a footling sandwich. Can't imagine what I must have looked like. But his tummy is soft. But he seem very shaky ( awkward) and is still shaking
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So my concern at this point is the possibility of mycotoxin poisoning.Moldy foods like bread can and do become toxic if they're left long enough. The yeast in them is what does it.Because Digby is already exhibiting symptoms of mycotoxicity, the absolute best thing to do is to have him seen by an emergency vet immediately. If you're not sure where one is in your area, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.Here's more information on mycotoxicity: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_fungi_poisoningThe good news is that with the proper medications and supportive care, most dogs do well, but the faster he's treated, the better the outcome.I hope he does well.