Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Lisa, our dog has similar story - and has been monitored

Customer Question

Hi Lisa, our dog has similar story - and has been monitored since a pup as he is always slightly under weight however he can't seem to handle anymore than a vet light food otherwise he has the runs, and seems to be sensitive to other foods - we mostly keep him under control but he does get the runs quite often - mainly from curious things he's picked up to eat on a walk - grass, plants and flowers ūüėĀ etc, yesterday he managed to get hold of a cherry fallen from our tree and this morning has excreted only a large amount of mucus and some blood? My sister has crones so it all seems very familiar?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To add, he has a healthy appetite - but any more than 3 small measured feeds of light food a day and he gets a bad stomach
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for requesting me! Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Have you had Loki since he was a pup?Has he always been this way?Has the vet done blood work on him yet?What brand of food are you feeding him?Has the vet tried any medications yet?Has the vet done any x-rays?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been like this since a pup and always had a sensitive diet.
He eats royal cabin light food because anything too rich goes through him but as a light food it's a struggle to keep weight on him.
They haven't tried meds or xray
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Other than the not gaining weight and loose stool, how does he act?Does he drink a lot of water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's a little hyper, but a normal young dog with healthy appetite and drinks adequate water, not excessive. He often reaches to eat grass or other plants when outside which we try to curb
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.If Loki were my dog, I would talk to the vet about trying something like Metronidazole for a bit. This is an intestinal antibiotic that really works well to help clear up loose stool in dogs. Sometimes, if dogs only have a small amount of loose stool, then being on a short course of this medication can get things firmed up.You can also try adding a bit of boiled white rice to his diet to help. Plain white rice really acts as a stomach settler, so if the problem is in his digestive tract, the rice may go a long way towards making sure all his stool is solid.If neither of these work, then it may be time to ask for a referral to a veterinary internal medicine specialist who will be able to determine if your dog has something like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBD) or other disorders of the digestive tract/intestines that cause his stool to be loose.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Candice,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Loki. How is everything going?

Lisa