Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 4 year old Chihuahua her right eye is red and has

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Chihuahua her right eye is red and has some tears my daughter think was blood not sure. Her eye is slightly blood shot and was rolled back in her head when she wakes from a nap. She is otherwise acting normal. Help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It sounds like she probably has a corneal ulcer. These are common in small breed dogs due to the eye sitting forward in the socket. They are prone to developing ulcers. The diagnosis is made by staining the eye and looking for stain uptake. This happens when there is an ulcer of the cornea. Treatment is then with antibiotic drops (neo-poly-gram). This can be done at your vet when you get a chance to run her in. You could also use an ER vet. It shouldn't be too costly to do the stain test and then get the drops. It should heal up nicely within 7-10 days. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bebe. How is everything going?