Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is looking straight up in the air and will not look

Customer Question

My dog is looking straight up in the air and will not look down. Have you seen that before?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.
The site is showing you as being offline and I will be going off for the night as well. The behavior, if the dog is not actually looking and seeing something visible that you can see, or if there is not audible sounds that the dog is picking up from inside the walls, then the worry becomes why. Is it a quirk of a young dog? Possibly. But what would have me concerned is that both pure bred dogs that make up your breed (cavachon) are prone to epilepsy. This is not always a shaking rigid fall over of the body. This comes in many forms and the Cavalier King Charles is prone to fly biting and air licking which come from focal or aura seizure activity. It does sound like, absence of course of there being something to look at, that it may be neurological in nature and a check up may be in order.
What I would do is make note of how often it happens, if it is a particular time of day, if there are any odd behaviors that go with the staring , if there are odd behaviors just before or after the dog is done staring up.
I would also video tape the episodes as well as take records of it to discuss and show your vet.
Here is a little more on the Cavalier health as it pertains to seizure activity.
http://cavalierhealth.org/epilepsy.htm