Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Good Morning My 5 year old cockapoo apparently has sprained

Customer Question

Good Morning
My 5 year old cockapoo apparently has sprained his back right hind leg... He will walk slowly on, but won't jump and play like he typically does.
If you pick him up he whines some.. He will stand and look at you to get picked up instead of jumping up.. Can I give him something for the pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First things first, it does sound like your lad isn't silly there. I am glad to hear that he isn't trying to jump up on anything since we absolutely wouldn't want him to do that and hurt this leg further. As well, we want to ensure he continues to take it easy, so no stairs, jumping, playing, or running. He should only have lead walks to the garden to do his business and back to resting for this week coming. Because just like us, if they don't rest a strain, it won't get better.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care here, you can consider warm compressing this sore leg. To do so, you can make a safe warm compress by filling a sock with uncooked rice, microwaving it for a few minutes, shaking it to distribute the heat and then apply to the sore limb as needed. Once he is a bit more settled and the warmth relaxes his muscle, you may also be able to massage the area.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatment supports that you could consider starting at this point, there are a few options. Now these tend to be longer term supports but still could be helpful just now. First, we may find that supplementing him with glucosamine and chondroitin could help him move more comfortably. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and the ones we typically use for dogs in this situation would be Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals and it can may reduce some of his discomfort. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.
Further to this, another support is Omega 3 & 6 fish oils (EPA/DHA). These are actually a natural anti-inflammatory agent that people use to ease discomfort in inflamed muscles. So, these could be used at this stage as well. A proper daily dose for his size would be 20mg EPA/DHA per pound of his body weight. So, this too could be a consideration for him.
Finally, while you will need to inform your vet (since it can limit their drug choice when/if they see him), if he is sore, you can choose to give him a low dose of buffered baby Aspirin. This should be given after food to avoid GI upset and side effects. You can read more about Aspirin and the dose you can use HERE (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). Of course, if he is very sore, dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox) from his vet would be ideal.
So, that would be our approach for a sprain or strain. Therefore, you can use the above for the next few days. If he settles, then we are happy. But if he doesn't then we'd want a check with his vet to make sure he hasn't damaged a tendon or need stronger dog specific pain relief.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Reggii,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet