Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

QUESTION}We have a rescue pup (11 months) whom the vet thinks appears to be a cross betwe

Customer Question

{QUESTION}We have a rescue pup (11 months) whom the vet thinks appears to be a cross between a cavalier and cocker spaniel. She came to us last week, was spayed the week before only after being treated for a URI or "nose bubbles" as the rescue lady said. She just went in for her 1st check up here with my son and has an ear infection. We are afraid she will end up like our last cocker spaniel with ear ablations and are very worried that RX with a Cortizone wash, etc. and ointments is a traditional approach but maybe there is another way. . Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. If this dog is part cocker, then the risk for chronic ear infections is going to be there. It's in the breed. It's rare to find a cocker that has not had the occasional ear infection. It's just something we need to treat when they occur and try to keep the ears cleaned and dry on a day to day basis. I would not decline treatment at this point. The longer an infection goes, the more inflammation there will be in the airway and the more likely you will head down the road to possible TECA (total ear canal ablation) surgeries. Just try to keep the ears maintained in between infections and then treat them as directed when they occur. I typically use Mometamax or Otomax to treat infections. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.