Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Dr drew! My dog recently had a hookworm episode.everything is clear and has been fo

Customer Question

Hi dr drew!
My dog recently had a hookworm episode.everything is clear and has been for some time, but this morning she was struggling to poop and got a little on my concrete back patio. I picked up the poop and bleached the remaining stone to ensure the bacteria was killed ( I have 3 kids and didn't want them stepping on it). Several hours later and a few misting rain showers I let the dog out again. although most of the poop was cleaned up their was a small amount ( about the size of a pinky nail) left. I don't think the dog ate the poop, but I didn't see it when we went out a third time later. If my dog somehow swollowed that small amount of poop, would it hurt her? She's approximately 20 pounds.
- a concerned mother
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. The expert you requested isn't currently online but I can help you if that's acceptable.
I'm sorry about your concern for your dog but ingestion of this small amount of fecal material (if, indeed, she did ingest it) won't be harmful to her per se. She's not likely to suffer any ill effects or consequences in terms of toxicity.
Although it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't cause her harm, some dogs, unfortunately, have a habit of ingesting this material and it rarely causes problems although looser stools may be seen if enough is eaten.
If she still had issues with hookworms, then it's possible for her to reinfect herself if eggs were present; however, if she's been free from this parasite for a while now, then this isn't likely to happen.
I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb