Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My pug has just eaten a 300mg gabapentin capsule what should

Customer Question

my pug has just eaten a 300mg gabapentin capsule what should i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to her that your dog has gotten in to some medication. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to helpGabapentin is used in dogs most often for seizures or chronic pain. This can be dosed as high as 10mg per pound of body weight. If he weighs less then 30lbs which most pugs do then I would suggest inducing vomiting. You cn induce vomiting by giving 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 10lbs of body weight. You can mix this with 1 tablespoon of milk if needed. After he gets the peroxide walk him around or gently shake the stomach to mix the contents. You can give this dose twice if needed. If he does not vomit up the pill then you will need to watch him for the next 6-8 hours. Should you seeing stumbling, muscle tremors or he becomes so sedate that he is not woken easily then he should be seen by a vet. If he should weigh 30lbs then inducing vomiting would not be necessary and other then some sedation I would not expect to see any lasting or serious complications. I would however keep an eye on him for any of the problems I listed above. Please let me know if you are able to get him to vomit. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Once our conversation is finished please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am credited by justanswer for assisting you todayCandy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Niknak. How is everything going?

Candy