Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We found Lilly covered in ticks, including deer ticks. We found her in

Customer Question

We found Lilly covered in ticks, including deer ticks. We found her in southern Indiana in the heat. She has soars on her and she's itching and whining. We carefully pulled the ticks off of her and gave her a flea and tick bath. After that we put frontline on her and got her dewormed. I've only had her for three days but we thinks she is about three months old. She has been getting better at walking but doesn't go very far. She whines when I take her for a walk. I'm just worried she might have Lyme disease. Do worms come back? Does she need another dosage?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also gave her Benadryl to help with her itching.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You attended to Lilly nicely. To see if she were exposed to Lyme or other tick-borne infections (Anaplasma, Ehrlichia, e.g.), please have an in-house Idexx snap test performed. It takes just a few drops of blood and you'll know within 10 minutes if she has been exposed. It's best to test a full month after tick exposure for the most accurate test results.
Yes, please worm her once again in 2 weeks with a pyrantel pamoate- or fenbendazole-containing wormer. Both are available over the counter in pet or feed stores. Avoid the ineffective piperazine-containing wormers. If you haven't had her vaccinated, please do so at your earliest convenience. She would need her core vaccines (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus) now and again in 3 weeks and her rabies vaccine at between 12-16 weeks of age.
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1-2 mg/lb every 8-12 hours is reasonable when addressing the pruritic (itchy) dog but in severe cases a prescription corticosteroid such as prednisone will be more helpful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
It's my pleasure. Thank you rescuing Lilly!
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Hi Abby,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is doing wonderful! She's so much more lively. We have gotten all of her shots and I have an appointment scheduled for her boosters, spay and a second round of deworming. I will also get her tested for Lyme while I'm there. Thank you for checking up!
What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Give Lilly a kiss for me.