Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has had loose foul smelling stool very long time,

Customer Question

My dog has had loose foul smelling stool for a very long time, severe weight loss. She has been to the vet multiple times, various treatments without success. She said there was nothing else she could do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. When I have a dog with chronic GI signs and weight loss, my most helpful diagnostic tool is biopsy samples of the intestines. This is usually done via an exploratory surgery. At that time, we can evaluate the entire GI tract, remove any potential tumors or masses and also take biopsy samples of multiple areas of the gut. The samples are sent to a pathologist to interpret. From there, we can usually get a diagnosis. This is likely either a disease of the gut (IBD- inflammatory bowel disease, Lymphangiectasia, a parasite) or a mass in the gut (lymphoma, adenocarcinoma, GIST- gastrointestinal stromal tumor). The treatment depends on what is found. Many of them require steroids (Prednisone) or some type of chemotherapy. If it's a discrete GIST mass, then we can have a good prognosis after surgical removal. I would see if your vet can perform this. If not, I would see where they can refer you to have it done. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to minimize the amount of stool and help her to gain weight. The vet said that do to her age some of the things you mentioned would not be helpful
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
To decrease the amount of stool, you need to decrease the inflammation in the gut. Steroids (Prednisone) may help with the inflammation. You could also try adding some puppy food with her regular food to get extra calories in and see if that helps her gain weight.