Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 16year old yorkie is throwing up green bile? What does that

Customer Question

My 16year old yorkie is throwing up green bile? What does that mean?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. 1. How long has this been going on?We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has done this the last two days!
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear Zeus is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. In your dog's age group nothing is certain, but dogs in any age group can suffer from uncomplicated stomach upsets, if this is the case then some owners are able to resolve the situation with simple home remedies { Which I will give you examples of below }. But sometimes vomiting is a sign of something more serious so if things do not quickly start to resolve or if you note any deterioration then you would be best to have Zeus checked over by a vet without delay. The fact it looks like green bile is not particularly significant by the way as this can occur with a variety of conditions. There are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these can sometimes work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.4. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. For a small dog like yours a couple of teaspoons twice a day should be sufficient. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Zeus is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his vomiting.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.