Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has been restless and whining a lot. Keeps coming up

Customer Question

My dog has been restless and whining a lot. Keeps coming up to me and crying like he wants something. He also is low energy and usually very active. He keeps stretching and yawning as well. He is licking his anus, but I haven't noticed any secretion. He is eating, but not with his usual ferver, and seems to be drinking a lot of water. Could this be a stomach issue?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also vomited once last night and is 18 months old.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...How long has he been acting like this?Have you noticed any scooting on his butt?When was the last time he defecated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3 days for the whining and licking. Been drinking a lot for a couple weeks but it had been really hot outside. He lives inside and has a dog door.
No scooting
There was a fresh poop in the yard today
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed. There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats . As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps. Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm . Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area. I hope this helps!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is a gland issue. I know the smell and I haven't smelled it or noticed any secretion, as mentioned in my first note. His feces is solid. I am more concerned about the other behavior. His continuous whining, even when he is just laying in his bed, and restlessness, plus the fact that he vomited once.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And drinking a lot of water. Does an anal gland issue explain all the other symptoms?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
It definitely could. Is he doing better today?