Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

And good day, I am a Bichon Frise breeder and one of

Customer Question

Hello and good day, I am a Bichon Frise breeder and one of my Dam's litters of 4 (2) are squirting out yellow diarrhea last 24 hours.. no mucus or blood, quite messy... their poop has been solid (good looking healthy stool up till now)..my vet is closed at this time. Perhaps you may be able to advise me. Thank you so much!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your pups hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
It would be helpful to know how old the pups are but as a breeder, you probably know that overfeeding can lead to diarrhea in young pups especially if they're being supplemented.
Internal parasites which might have been transmitted to the mom or which we might have brought in on our shoes could also contribute to loose stool issues.
If they're otherwise doing well and behaving as you would expect for their age, then the following is what I'd suggest:
1. Worm everyone (all pups and mom) with Pyrantal Paomate which as you probably know if a very safe and effective wormer against roundworms (by far the most common internal parasites in young puppies) and hookworms.
2. I'd also start the two with loose stools on a probiotic such as Forti Flora which may be available at local pet or grain stores or online.
3. I'm assuming you know to avoid any over the counter products since the majority of them aren't safe for nursing babies.
4. If you're supplementing them, I'd reduce the amount that you're feeding them.
As long as they're thriving, gaining weight like they should and behaving normally for their age, you may be able to get this under control at home. However, since there bacterial and viral causes of loose stools, then a vet visit may be prudent if they aren't.
I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up about your puppies. How are things going with them? Deb