Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is generally perfectly healthy. He is a samoyed and

Customer Question

My dog is generally perfectly healthy. He is a samoyed and 14 years old. No problems except for some minor arthritis in his back end, which he takes rimadyl for. A few months ago he started drooling a lot, especially when lying down. It has caused his fur to discolor and he has also started rubbing his head a bit on the floor while lying down, and licking his front paws a lot more often. The vet checked him out at his yearly exam and found nothing that could be causing this issue. He never really licked himself this much before and his paws have become discolored just like his face. They ran blood tests to check up on everything and results were normal. Is this due to something with his salivary glands or what else could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years. What you are likely seeing is typical allergies to airborne particles. This can be something in bloom outside or dogs can be highly allergic to dust or dust mites.Since this has just started then I would more assume it is seasonal , something in bloom or take a look at any new cleaners or air fresheners you may be using. Dogs with airborne allergies frequently rub their muzzles, chin etc along the floor or furniture trying to reach the itch. They also often lick their paws and the dog's saliva is what turns the area a rust or brown color. You can try giving Benadryl allergy (not the allergy sinus) and I will direct you to a site for dosing for this. I have been using the non drowsy gel tabs but they don't seem to work as well as the regular benadryl. Try to keep the dog inside as much as possible and you can wipe the dog down with a damp towel after an outing so that any pollen or other particles do not stay on the coat. You may also start to see she begins to smell a bit. This is due to yeast in the feet or ears. This often happens with allergies. For the feet you can soak them in a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water and for the ears if you see her shaking her head or scratching you can us zymox drops for yeast and bacterial ear infections (found on amazon) .hopefully once what ever is in bloom that may be causing the reaction will give her a break once it dies out. Benadryl dosing http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadrylseasonal allergies http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/seasonal-allergies-and-your-pet
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If you are satisfied with my service please don't for get to rate before you leave. If you had more questions , don't rate just come back and ask:)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tini. How is everything going?

Sally G.