Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Is it possible to remove a toenail from a dog and kill the

Customer Question

Is it possible to remove a toenail from a dog and kill the root to keep it from growing back because it keeps splitting and getting infected?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry to hear about this concern.No, it is not possible. To prevent regrowth of the nail, a veterinarian under anesthesia needs to do a digit amputation, removing the third bone in the toe. Also, with any repetitive injury to a nail, I would definitely ask the vet about doing a biopsy of the nail and nail bed. There are some autoimmune conditions that can cause what you are describing and it can progress quickly to other nails as well.Also, whenever a nail is split or fractured, generally, the nail must be trimmed back to the level of fracture for it to heal correctly. This can be very painful so is usually done under some sedation. In addition, I will usually have these patients wear a rubber velcro bootie for a few weeks during healing. Hope that extra information helps. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?