Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate 1 2mg ability. She is 3 and weighs 50 pounds

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you clarify what she had? What is the active ingredient?
How long ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 hour ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
And most importantly can you clarify what it is she has had or what the active ingredient is?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you mean abilify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type here),
Now this drug is not one that we use in veterinary medicine with dogs. Therefore, there are no established safe dose ranges. Adverse signs that we can see with this drug include restlessness, anxiety, disorientation, and Gi upset (vomiting, appetite loss, etc)
Since she is a larger dog, we would hope only to see mild signs with this. Still, she only had this an hour ago, we can err on the side of caution and you can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get into her. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then we might want to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to get this out of her system.
Alternatively or afterwards, you could also consider treating her with activated charcoal (1-4 grams per kilogram of body weight every 6-8 hours) for the next 24-48 hours to ensure you are blocking any absorption of this in her system. This is available over the counter at any pharmacy and can be administered in food or syringe fed mixed with water. If you do use this, remember to stay away from white carpets since it will stain.
Overall, we can see adverse signs when dogs eat this medication. So, again as she is a larger dog, we'd hope to only see mild signs over the next 24 hours. But since she had this so recently, we can use the above to avoid her absorbing this and keep her from any risk.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )