Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yes my dog Rizzo who is a German Shepard lab mix hasn't been

Customer Question

Yes my dog Rizzo who is a German Shepard lab mix hasn't been able to hold down food or water. The last time I tried to feed him his dog food was last night and he puked it up within 5 minutes. He did the same with water earlier today. He was able to hold down about a half of cup of cooked rice but puked it all up about 2 hours later went I have him another half of cup. Now almost 24 hours since last night he is dry heaving.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has he had these signs?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all started around this time last night. He would eat and then throw it all up within a matter of minutes. He hasn't been able to hold down water neither.His gums are pinkish and sticky.When I press on his belly he seems fine. No pain or discomfortAnd he hasn't gotten into anything that I know off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't mean to do the phone request. It's still very early.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to see that his gum color is good and he has no belly pain. With these being normal, it does lower the concerns of something causing a blockage in his GI. That said, we need to keep an eye on gum moisture, since stickiness is an early sign of dehydration starting to rear its head.
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, vomiting and nausea in our dogs for a range of reasons. Commonly we will see this with bacterial gastroenteritis, viruses, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, or secondary to ingestion of toxins and foreign bodies. Though hopefully those last 2 are not worries for Rizzo.
Now if he cannot even keep water down, then we are being faced with a major challenge. The reason is because nausea severe enough to cause them to vomit water, often needs injectable anti-vomiting medication to initially settle their stomachs. That said, at this point you can start trying to settle his stomach by resting it. To do so, you will want to withhold food for the few hours. He should have access to water at all times, but since he is so nauseous we only want to offer small amounts (giving hourly small sips or ice cubes).
If we can get him a wee bit more settled after that, you can address his nausea with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
Of course, this medication of course shouldn't be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications that you haven't mentioned. Ideally, give this ~30 minutes before food to allow it to absorb and start easing Rizzo's stomach upset. Though be aware that if he is still too nauseous to keep this down after resting his stomach, then he will likely need injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet to settle his severe nausea.
If you rest his stomach, give an antacid, and he feels up to it, you can then offer a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Rice is good but you can add boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese to it as a protein source. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill's I/D or Royal Canin's sensitivity). You want to offer a small amount (a spoonful to start) and if he keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since we have sticky gums, I do think we need to also check his hydration now. When checking a pet's hydration status, there are a few things we can test. Further to checking the gums, we want to make sure his eyes do not appear sunken, and that he does not have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If he is showing those dehydration signs at this point, that is another sign to have him to the vet since oral rehydration can be difficult if they are vomiting.
Overall, it does sound like your lad is suffering with severe nausea. In this case, we'd want to take the above approach but monitor his hydration and see if we can settle that stomach. If you rest his stomach and then try the above but he is still too nauseous to keep water or the antacid down, then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can examine him, check his hydration, rule out any sinister lumps or bumps or anything that doesn't become in his stomach. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication by injection to settle that severe GI upset and get him back on track.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
PS- No worries on the mis-request, I only just saw it as I was busy typing our treatment plan for Rizzo. - Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much, I will see how this works.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rizzo. How is everything going?

nekovet