Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog 7 pound Chihuahua just took a one milligram klonopin

Customer Question

My dog 7 pound Chihuahua just took a one milligram klonopin I put peroxide down her throat immediately and she threw up about 7 times and that was about half an hour ago Dr
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm sorry no other expert chose to answer before now.
The dosage for klonopin (Clonazepam) is .05 to .25 mg per pound every 8 hours. That would be .35mg to 1.75 mg for a 7 pound dog. So the amount ingested would have been within the dosage range. However, you inducing vomiting likely got the majority of the drug out of your dogs system if it was within an hour or so of ingestion. Here is the site that discusses dosage.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/clonazepam-klonopin
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?